Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Oasis in the Desert

My desert began a two weeks ago when i was hurt by a dear friend and experienced pain I had never been through before. But I have come to discover from it, that in a desert of confusion, pain, and longing, true friends are the oases that bring refreshment, perseverance and hope.

One oasis was when I couldn't stop crying at Gloria Jeans coffee-shop and after a frantic txt to my husband, the words he replied with calmed me like a mother's gentle embrace soothes a child's violent tears.

Then a friend arrived, just seeing her smiling eyes, peaceful presence, and flowery, flowy skirt helped me feel like life wasn't over. I poured out my anguish to her and what restored me to my old positive self for the time being, was more than anything her listening ear that made me feel that she was in this with me: I wasn't alone.

Or when i went to lunch in the middle of the work-day and I just had to cry and my friend held my shoulders as I walked through the maze of food vendors unaware of what caused my pain, only seeing the effects of it drip down my reddened face.

Then a relaxing dessert place where on cozy couches my friends counseled me as we ate a chocolate lave cake, every bite scooped into my mouth with the golden spoon awakened my sleeping serotonin. As I sipped my lychee mint drink, I was even able to laugh at how crazy life can be.

Emails, and chats with friends from home full of love and lines from years long ago, reminded me that I have friendships built on solid foundations, awaiting for me when I return back to the States.

Talking with my parents over skype, thinking about memories of home, and hearing their sweet voices and words of loving advice, I couldn't handle how blessed I am, even in the midst of my hurt.

I hope I can be the ice-cold refreshing water for someone wandering in the hot, bleak emptiness of the pain of life, since now I know how sweet to the soul it is.

No comments: